#IGUALES

Hola,

This past weekend I had the honor of attending a fundraiser concert for a campaign called #IGUALES, meaning “#equal”. The concert featured 7 Spanish bands/artists including: Elefantes, Neuman, La M.O.D.A, Carlos Sadness, Viva Suecia, Modelo de Respuesta Polar and Tórtel. The concert was  raising funds for the Organization OXFAM Intermón.

To learn more about the non profit organisation and what it does please watch the following video:

http://www.oxfamintermon.org/es/quienes-somos

Besides just fundraising, the concert also had a special message to give about the inequalities of wealth that go on in the world. They posed the question:

“Did you know that the world’s richest 1% have more wealth than the remaining 99%?”

In between the artists’ sets, the MC would come out with the directors of the campaign and talk about how because of tax legislation in their current state the 1% can not only keep its millions of dollars, but also make even more money off of the backs of the 99% unless we all stand up together and make a change happen.

The Oxfam Volunteers even had several tables in the back of the concert where attendees could sign several petitions to help combat these injustices that plague our world today.

20160603_194342
Venue Stage with a projection reading “Let’s end extreme inequality #IGUALES”              (credit: Esteban Martinez)

As for the music, I can describe it in one word – HYPE! The genre was a mix of Spanish Rock and Indie, and boy was it epic! The two best bands were Elefantes (one of my personal favorites) and Carlos Sadness. Though most of the crowd did not know who Carlos Sadness was, we knew it was going to be an interesting set when he came out with a ukulele and a banjo to his side.

The entire atmosphere of the music mixed with the energy of the people was astounding. In all my years I have never been to such a good feeling concert, I kid you not the concert was just beyond unique. This was definitely a great break right before finals.

20160603_202519
Carlos Sadness lead singer and ukulele player (credit: Esteban Martinez)

I am still in a bit of disbelief that for only 16 euro I got to see 7 great bands, have a good time and donate to a campaign…all for a great cause!

Special thanks to OXFAM Intermón and all the volunteers, and an extra special shout out to my fellow UC student Leslie Martínez from Fresno, California for her role in her internship that helped make this concert possible. Thank you!

2016-06-05 15.07.02
“It’s time to change the rules” #IGUALES
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s